Wednesday 14 January 2009

Weakling PhD's

Well, this morning I invigilated an exam for a woman who has problems with her hands, meaning that I was scribing for her. This was the first time I was scribing, and while I understood the process, I was nervous about how things would work out - what about spelling? grammar? punctuation? Turns out that spelling and grammar weren't a problem, and punctuation was just something you had to get a feel for. All in all, it was a very relaxing exam and I got to read a little bit more of Elizabeth Bear's Blood and Iron, which I'm enjoying very much.

What I didn't expect was how wussy being a PhD student has made me. I wrote for maybe 1:30 this morning, and my hand was cramping like there was no tomorrow. When I was an undergrad, I wrote for hours at a time sometimes - taking notes, writing exams, and while I ended up in pain, it was after many more hours than 1:30. I guess this is what happens when you no longer attend classes and spend all of your time typing or reading - never writing longhand!

No comments:

Post a Comment